Anyone got an Imagen to work on a Risc-System 6000?

Tim Fredrick fredrick at acd.ucar.edu
Wed Jan 30 05:08:11 AEST 1991

I have been hacking at this for several days now.  I can send data to an
Imagen Laserprinter in its line printer emulation mode and it works fine.
For that I've been using "cat /etc/motd > /dev/lp0".  But in the IMPRESS
mode, I can't get the printer to work.  Illegal characters seem to be
sent to the printer if I do an "cat tst.impress > /dev/lp0" even though you
can do an "ipr tst.impress" on the Pyramid or SPARCstation and it works fine.

So, has anyone gotten an Imagen attached and working?  If so, can you send
me your RS232 wiring and printer settings?

Our Wiring:

     IBM SIDE                          IMAGEN
         2 ________________     _________ 2
         3 ________________\ __/
                            \____________ 3
     ____4
     \___5

    _____6
    \____8
     \___20______________________________ 20

Our entry in /etc/qconfig:

lp0:
        device = lp0

lp0:
        file = /dev/lp0
        header = never
        trailer = never
        access = both
        backend = /usr/lpd/piobe

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.  --Tim

Tim Fredrick             National Center for Atmospheric Research
                         Atmospheric Chemistry Division
fredrick at ncar.ucar.edu   PO Box 3000
fredrick at ncar.CSNET      Boulder, CO 80307