? write and read double as text reliably

Stephen Linam sdl at adagio.austin.ibm.com
Wed Jan 23 04:32:36 AEST 1991

In article <17815 at brahms.udel.edu>, apperson at brahms.udel.edu (Apperson H
Johnson) writes:
|> What is the best way to write double precision numbers if
|> 1. they are to be read by people
|> 2. they are to bre read by a C program, and MUST preserve their exact
values.

I don't have a general answer to your question, but I did find a
bug in AIX 3.1 sprintf() which is causing the specific test case
to fail -- the number emited by the sprintf should be 0.12345678901234548.

I'll open a defect report to fix it in the next release.  Please call in
an APAR to get the fix before then.

Stephen Linam   AWD Austin   T/L: 793-3674  Bell-net: (512) 832-3674
IBM Internet: sdl at adagio.austin.ibm.com        VNET: LINAM at AUSTIN
Outside:  sdl at glasnost.austin.ibm.com