ate allergic to noise (AIX3.1)

Applied Magnetics 3003jalp at ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu
Wed Jan 9 08:38:58 AEST 1991

My phone line is noisy, as evidenced by occasional garble on the
screen.  That's my problem and it is being solved.  However, the
asynchronous terminal emulator program (ate) has a tendency to choke.
I can type ^V to get back to the menu, but if I try to, e.g. hang up,
ate freezes for good.  Hayes SmartModem on /dev/tty00, 3002.
A VT-100 terminal on the same modem shows the noise, but doesn't freeze.

Is this normal ?  Phone lines are never completely noise-free.
Am I stuck forever with a small probablity of locking ?

  --Pierre Asselin, R&D, Applied Magnetics Corp.  I speak for me.