Problems setting up networks (was Re: netstat -r

J. Eric Townsend jet at karazm.math.uh.edu
Wed Jan 16 08:39:43 AEST 1991

In article <19697 at hydra.gatech.EDU> scott at prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Holt) writes:
>There is a characteristic of the ethernet interface
>which defines the connector type, either DIX or BNC - BNC for thin,
>DIX for thick. If this is set wrong, strange things happen. The
>attributes can be accessed via the "chgenet" fast path (i.e

Hm.  I got this right, and my machine is still (network-wise) down.  We've
got a netmask of 0xfffff000, which appears to be the source of some
problems.  The best I can tell, I should be using en0 (I'm using the BNC
on an 802.3 network).  But the machine can only ping itself.

Grr.  Anybody have any hints?  I'm at 3002 on a 320, there are plenty of
other machines on the subnet.  I've cranked up etherfind on a sun, and it
doesn't see any packets coming from the rs6000.

Yes, the 6000 is plugged into the thinnet cable.  That was the first thing
I checked.  And the connector is good, I tried it on a working machine.

Thanks for any help...

--
J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet at uh.edu    Bitnet: jet at UHOU
Systems Mangler - UH Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120