Using pcsim with a non-ibm xterminal

Jerry Heyman jerry at heyman.austin.ibm.com
Sat Jan 12 11:20:31 AEST 1991

john at labtam.labtam.oz.au (John Carey) writes:

$ I have had problems using pcsim running on an RS/6000 with an non-ibm
$ xterminal
$
$ IBM people here in Australia seem unable to help.
$
$ I thought I ask you direct rather than ask in "comp.unix.aix" as I see
$ you have replied to a pcsim query there alreay
$
$ The problems are
$
$ 1.	pcsim exits soon after startup
$
$ 	Xscope show that it was looking the rom* fonts and when this
$ 	request failed it exited siliently
$
$ 	The work-around for this was to install the ibm rom fonts
$ 	for the X-terminal
$
$ 	I think pcsim should print an error message on font failure
$ 	rather than exit silently
$

This should be opened as an APAR and dealt so that we here in Austin can fix
the problem as soon as possible.

$ 2.	pcsim does not understand non-ibm xterminal keyboard.
$
$ 	I suspect because pcsim is looking at terminal dependant keycodes
$ 	(different for nearly every X-server) rather than the terminal
$ 	independent keysyms.
$
$ 	Can I configure pcsim to work with my terminal and how ??
$

This is currently being worked on, don't know how soon it would become
available.  Opening the problem up as an APAR might get the fix out sooner.

$						John Carey
$						Labtam Australia

jerry heyman
Jerry Heyman                     IBM T-R: jerry at heyman.austin.ibm.com
AWD Tools Development            VNET   : HEYMAN at AUSVMQ
AWD Austin                       T/L    : 793-3962
*** All opinions expressed are exactly that - my opinions and NOT IBM's