dataless RISC-6000?

John P. Eisenmenger jpe at egr.duke.edu
Tue Jan 8 00:52:38 AEST 1991

>From article <1991Jan5.011235.27677 at odi.com>, by benson at odi.com (Benson I. Margulies):
> no go. sendmail modifies a file in /usr/lib, and that was just the tip
> of the iceberger. someday, perhaps AIX will  have /var.

So, build a sendmail that looks for its files elsewhere.  In order to keep
things running smoothly at my site I run the same sendmail everywhere.  This
eliminates having to handle each company's "improvements" to the software
and the config files.  I'm presently running sendmail 5.65 on my '6000 with
only a few changes (mostly bug fixes to sendmail).

Another option would be to use symbolic links in the place of the changing
files and move the actual files to "/var" or wherever.

> Benson I. Margulies

John P. Eisenmenger