Not NFS in AIX !!???*&^^%

Scott Holt scott at prism.gatech.EDU
Tue Jan 22 09:13:08 AEST 1991

In article <2831 at mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx> josevela at mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Jose Angel Vela Avila) writes:

>  We try to mount a directory from a Vax 6310 and it works.. but if we try
>    to write or read from it.... CRASH !! everything hangs !!:
>   Then we CAN'T umount the directory..
>
>  What's grong ??
>
> Also, how we can do for mount a directory in the RS from a Vax 6310 ??
>  We can't do that still.... :-(

I know this sounds like a smartass response, but, did you specificly
start NFS (i.e. smit nfsconfigure)?

I had the exact same thing happen to me a while back - I could mount
the file systems and even list directories. But, any attempt to access
a file hung the system.

After beating my head against the console for a while, I noticed that
no biod processes were running on the system. Though I had gone to the
trouble of changing the number of biod and nfsd processes on the machine,
they apparently are not started unless you explicitly "Start NFS" (aka
/usr/etc/mknfs).

The mount works simply because mountd was running on the server whose
directory you tried to mount. Apparently, "mount" does not required that
biod processes be running. It will make the appropriate requests of
the remote server's mountd.

- Scott
--
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Scott Holt                 		Internet: scott at prism.gatech.edu
Georgia Tech 				UUCP: ..!gatech!prism!scott
Office of Information Technology, Technical Services