Slow X on IBM RS6000?

Jeff Weinstein jsw at xhead.esd.sgi.com
Thu Jan 31 07:30:51 AEST 1991

In article <9837 at pitt.UUCP>, jonathan at speedy.cs.pitt.edu (Jonathan
Eunice) writes:
>                        Also, I think IBM has had less experience than
> HP, DEC, Sun, et al in tuning X.  As it's released from MIT, X is not
> the most highly optimized code you've ever seen (no slight intended to
> the fine folks who bring us X).  Other vendors had a longer history of
> tuning their X packages, and I think that shows too.

  IBM used to have a group of X server hackers that had been working
on tuning X11 since before X11R1 alpha about 4 years ago.  The first port
of the MIT X11 sample server to a non-DEC machine was to the IBM RT
running AOS 4.3.  This group still exists...we all work on the X group
at SGI now.

	--Jeff

Jeff Weinstein - X Protocol Police
Silicon Graphics, Inc., Entry Systems Division, Window Systems
jsw at xhead.esd.sgi.com
Any opinions expressed above are mine, not sgi's.