Replacing /bin/login under AIX 3.1

Robin D. Wilson robin at batcomp.austin.ibm.com
Thu Jan 24 04:03:44 AEST 1991

In article <9T4^9=- at rpi.edu> todd at narnia.ecs.rpi.edu (R. Lindsay Todd) writes:

>Hi -- I need to provide an alternate login program on my RS6000's
>(to provide Kerberos authentication for AFS).  However, simply
>replacing /bin/login with another version doesn't work.  Upon
>further study, I noticed that /bin/login is a hard link to /etc/getty
>and /etc/tsm; it also became clear the /etc/getty takes care of
>authentication itself!
>
>Now, /etc/security/login.cfg and /etc/security/user seems to have some
>hooks for providing alternative authentication methods.  However, my
>CD-ROM wears a bit thin in this area.  Has anyone successfully used
>these hooks to provide an alternative login mechanism?
>
>Is there any other way I could use a substitute login program?

You can add a "logger" attribute to the ODM databases PdAt and CuAt that
points to the program you want to run.  Be forwarned that this will not work
very well until update 3003.   Then when you login the "logger" of your choice
will be used.

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     robin%aixserv at uunet.uu.net                                         |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)823-3015                       |