AIX PS/2 patch 1009: Which Tape? Large SCSIs?

Richard L. Pettit Jr. richp at romulus.la.locus.com
Sat Jan 19 02:21:20 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan17.225248.5539 at odin.corp.sgi.com> jeffs at soul.esd.sgi.com (Jeff Smith) writes:
>probably by an order of magnitude).  AIX on the PS/2 has never had
>much support from IBM.

Oh, thank you Jeff for pointing this out and NOT being a Locus employee.
I've been screaming bloody murder to Locus management since day one that
IBM treats AIX PS/2 & 370 as the ugly stepchild just as it does to any
OS that wasn't developed by IBM or Microsoft.

If I may babble for a moment, I really like the 386/486 architecture.
And even though I hoped that IBM would go down in flames when it turned
it's back on an industry effort to standardize the 32 bit bus for PCs
back in the '86-87 time frame, I still like the PS/2 and the microchannel.
As far as I'm concerned there is *no better* operating system to be had
for the [34]86 architecture even though it will only run on a PS/2.  There
is more bias towards BSD 4.3 in that statement than there is towards the
product that is sold by the company for which I'm employed.  I won't bother
pointing out all the "features" of other UNIX OSs that are available for
these processors that make AIX PS/2 all the more desirable.  I've wasted
enough bandwidth as it is.

Rich
----
              Richard Pettit                       Locus Computing Corp.
                                richp at locus.com
        "Opinions expressed herein are of the author, not (LCC or IBM)"