To SMIT or not to SMIT (Was: Re: objectrepository and odme)

Bjorn Engsig bengsig at oracle.nl
Thu Jan 17 01:24:06 AEST 1991

In article <1174 at nlsun1.oracle.nl>, I wrote:
| being in the database world has taught my one very important thing: NEVER,
| EVER keep redundant information, and I guess this is actually what confuses
| people, and makes us uncertain weather to use SMIT or the other tools.

Article <1991Jan15.143208.25540 at cbnewsd.att.com> by timborn at cbnewsd.att.com (timothy.d.born) says:

|"Please notice that SMIT is a read-only shell; by itself, it alters nothing
|on your system.  Instead it executes commands that do all the work.
Sure, I might not have made myself clear.  To the casual user it looks like
SMIT does al the work for you, and what worries me is that I don't know if
e.g. the command that smit calls to say create a user also does things to the
ODM, or if the system status will be the same if I vipw, mkdir, etc. by hand.
|So which is right?  SMIT does or does not play with ODM?
Not per se, but the commands it issues does play with the ODM.

And speaking about redundancy:

  "Completely and totally remove all repetitive redundancy"
Bjorn Engsig,         E-mail: bengsig at oracle.com, bengsig at oracle.nl
ORACLE Corporation    Path:   uunet!orcenl!bengsig

            "Stepping in others footsteps, doesn't bring you ahead"