Is crypt(1) part of AIX?

Mark Brown mbrown at testsys.austin.ibm.com
Thu Jan 3 06:16:45 AEST 1991

In article <1990Dec31.161221.10522 at cbnewsd.att.com>,
timborn at cbnewsd.att.com (timothy.d.born) writes:
|> I'm having some difficulty with the crypt(1) command on AIX 3.1.
|> It doesn't seem to exist.  The sales reps are unable to make a definitive
|> answer, so I'm looking for other data points.  The question is: did
|> IBM supply you with a crypt command?  If so, where is it installed, &
|> what package was it part of, please.

IBM does *not* ship the crypt(1) command in AIXv3.
The reason is legal, involving US export restrictions. The library function
is still there, however.

Mark Brown    IBM AWD Austin, TX.     (512) 823-3741   VNET: MBROWN at AUSVMQ
MAIL: mbrown at testsys.austin.ibm.com OR uunet!aixsm!aixsmlab!testsys!mbrown
    If we aren't allowed to discuss past mistakes, we'll never learn.
      DISCLAIMER: Any personal opinions stated here are just that.