Does AIX PS/2 1.2 run on the PS/2 Models 90 and 95?

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.tcc.com
Sat Jan 12 23:24:59 AEST 1991

In article <5945 at spdcc.SPDCC.COM> dyer at spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>We're looking to obtain a new PS/2 machine to easily handle builds of
>large source-code trees on the PS/2, and the new 486 models,
>the 90 and 95, immediately came to mind.  However, the person
>who was trying to order this was flummoxed by the person from
>IBM who couldn't clearly say whether or not these machines ran
>AIX PS/2 1.2.  The comment was "it runs, but it's not supported".
>Whatever that means.

Hmmm!?@ Was this person "from IBM" the regular AIX support person or the
hardware types or what (I don't know what different IBM contacts one might
talk with)?? I mean it would be damn silly for IBM to have an operating
system for "the" PS/2 and then bring out new "PS/2"'s that didn't run it,
don't you think?!? Well, of course one has to take into account that there
are PS/2's that are 286-based that won't but, taking that into account....

>Can anyone inside Locus or IBM state something more plainly on
>the ability to run vanilla AIX PS/2 1.2 with the latest patches
>these configurations?

Naturally, I don't speak with the official authority of IBM but yes, we
have some number of the 486 machines around the building. One of the systems
on our regular development cluster is either a 90 or 95 and as far as I know
it runs the same stock kernel as the rest of the cluster. I also know that
the Locus marketing types have been busy setting up a 95 running AIX as
some sort of demo system.

Now, all of this being said I should reiterate that I certainly don't make
IBM policy and if you run into a problem and tell the support contact "Oh,
this is running on a model 95" I don't have the official stance on what
their response is supposed to be, its just that I would be surprised if they
would not support it. I would try to get an official word from NSD just so
you can sleep well at night :-}.

Good luck, Steve

Disclaimer: What, after all that hand-washing above you think I
	    still need a disclaimer :-} :-}.
Jack F. Vogel			jackv at locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM