Need help nfs mounting from an Apollo.

System Admin Mike Peterson system at alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca
Wed Jan 9 15:35:40 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan8.222301.6458 at inel.gov> lin at sixmile.INEL.GOV (Linn Hower) writes:

>  Help!  I am trying to mount an exported filesystem from an Apollo
>DN10000, SR10.3 on a RISC/6000 320 V3.1.  I am stuck with filesystem
>names on the apollo like //einstein/u1.  Thats a double slash.
>When I try 'mount einstein://einstein/u1 /mnt', I get:
>
>mount: access denied for einstein:/einstein/u1
>mount: giving up on:
>        einstein:/einstein/u1
>
>The AIX mount has dropped the the first slash.  How can I get it to
>stop doing this?

As far as I know, you can not mount the Apollo // level on AIX
(we have one too, and tried for a few days to trick it - first using
smit, then editing the NFS files manually). The problem is that on
most UNIX systems, 2 (or more) slashes in a pathname are condensed to a
single slash - I also believe this is required by POSIX (help me
someone!), which is why the Apollo // stuff won't be in OSF (and will
never be unless HP adds it specially for Domain/OS compatability).

We have mounted each Apollo node separately (at the / level) on the IBM,
the way you mount all other file systems on NFS; it works OK. At least
you can mount the entire node's file system in one mount, no matter what
the disk partitioning really is.

For the moment, you can mount //apollonode on SGI IRIX, but I bet that
will change once SGI goes POSIX.
--
Mike Peterson, System Administrator, U/Toronto Department of Chemistry
E-mail: system at alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca
Tel: (416) 978-7094                  Fax: (416) 978-8775