QUESTION: sendmail on the RS/6000 (also popper problem)

Matthew Lewis matthew at ooc.uva.nl
Fri Jan 18 23:12:50 AEST 1991

Hello,

I am sitting with a rather odd problem.  We are running the popper POP
daemon.  In general, it works.  However, if new mail comes in when someone
is reading mail, the spool file ends up corrupt.  The first thing I found,
was that under AIX, file locking does not do anything unless the file is
open for write (or read/write).  So, I changed popper to open the spool
file in R/W.  That still did not solve the problem, leading me to wonder if
sendmail (the version delivered with AIX 3) uses file locking itself!

I was wondering anyone  has ported a more recent sendmail to the RS/6000.
Since this locking behaviour differs significantly from BSD standard
behaviour, maybe IBM missed it in sendmail.  Maybe.  ** SIGH ***
Or if anyone knows anyhting about this problem specifically, I would
appreciate it _very_ much.

Best regards,

Matthew Lewis
Sys Admin, CICT/OOC
University of Amsterdam
--
Matthew Lewis, University of Amsterdam		Grote Bickersstraat 72
+31-20-52 51 220				1013 KS  Amsterdam