connecting a Laserwriter

Alan Stebbens aks at anywhere.ucsb.edu
Thu Jun 20 05:38:09 AEST 1991

Does anyone have some details on connecting an Apple Laserwriter to an
IBM RS6000/320?  We've done this many times with Suns, and it is pretty
straightforward, but is proving difficult with our RS6000.

I believe we've correctly created the device (lp0), as well as the
appropriate virtual printer queue (ps0); each time we queue some output
to the printer, we get DEV_WAIT as the status for the printer, and we
don't see any activity on the TX serial pin.

We've done continuity checks and the cable is right; we're running a
pretty standard RS232 cable, and we've even swapped TX/RX with each
other and tried again.  We've had the device attribute "DTR=" set to
both 'yes' and 'no' and it still doesn't work.

And, this printer works fine from a Sun serial port.

Can someone please give me a clue?

Thanks.

Alan Stebbens        <aks at hub.ucsb.edu>             (805) 893-3221
     Center for Computational Sciences and Engineering (CCSE)
          University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB)
           3111 Engineering I, Santa Barbara, CA 93106
--

Alan Stebbens