Can motif programs in C++ be written for RS/6000?

umh at vax5.cit.cornell.edu umh at vax5.cit.cornell.edu
Sun Mar 31 20:07:49 AEST 1991

Has anyone been able to get this to work?
I have code that I wrote on Sparcs that utilizes Xt, Motif and is written in
C++. I tried to port it to the RS/6000. The first problem was that the X  you
get given is X11R3, but our system manager has the X11R4 headers and some
library files tucked away (and not the default headers and libraries because he
says they are still buggy.) Because I'm using C++ I had to use these R4 headers
and once they'd been massaged my code compiled fine.

However when I tried to run it, it said that libXm.a[shr.o] could not been
found. So I imagined this is a problem with runtime libraries. I look in
/usr/lib and libXm.a is there so I don't know why it can't find it, but anyway
I set my environment variable LIBPATH to /usr/lib and this works in that it
finds libXm.a and I get a new error message about libXt.a being of incorrect
XCOFF format. As far as I can tell XCOFF refers to how the object modules in a
library talk to each other.

So does this error mean my X11R4 compiled program wants the X11R4 version of
libXt.a and lands up getting the X11R3 one from /usr/lib?
Does it mean it wants the X11R3 one from /usr/lib and lands up getting one from
/usr/local/deeple_burried_down/beta/X11R4/lib where it was also trying to look
for libXm.a?
Does it mean that the X11R4 libXt.a is corrupted and should be recompiled?

Is there anway I can avoid this nonsense and just compile the thing not to use
shared libraries, like the -Bstatic flag on Suns? Info spoke about a thing
called a binder which ld accesses. In a fit of optimism I hoped this might be
the runtime linker, and so I set the -nobind flag for the loader, but this
produced a whole bunch of compiler speak which made no sense, and resulted in
no executable so I gave up.

IBM have asked us *please* to write motif software in C++ for them? Are they
asking the impossible?

Maynard Handley
Cornell University
maynard at helios.tn.cornell.edu