file fragmentation

Lyle Seaman lws at comm.wang.com
Wed Mar 6 23:41:13 AEST 1991

woan at nowhere (Ronald S Woan) writes:

>In article <476 at bally.Bally.COM> siva at bally.Bally.COM (Siva Chelliah/50000) writes:
>>I have few questions :
>>   1 ) Is there a way to find out the  fragmentation of a file system
>>       (like the Norton utility for DOS)?

>I don't think so... Outside of some old UNIX/386 implementations, I
>don't really remember being able to do this with any UNIX file system
>(UFS perhaps? Certainly not BSD).

SunOS and RISC/os both report fragmentation from fsck.  I don't know
about vanilla BSD.

>>   3) How to re-organize the file system ?

There was a program floating around the net called "packdisk" which did
this for XENIX.  Shouldn't be too much trouble to make it work for other
SysV Unices.  The general solution is: backup your filesystem, make
a new filsystem, restore the backup.

Lyle                  Wang           lws at capybara.comm.wang.com
508 967 2322     Lowell, MA, USA