Making A request to IBM (Was: Re: How does one compile to assembly?)

jsalter at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com jsalter at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com
Thu Mar 14 04:44:39 AEST 1991

In article <96 at softpro.stgt.sub.org> cmo at softpro.stgt.sub.org (Christian Motz) writes:
>In article <1991Mar6.211740.25556 at ibmpa.awdpa.ibm.com> jsalter at slo.awdpa.ibm.com (Jim Salter) writes:
>>Please feel free to call up IBM with requests
>>for it, though.  If enough people want it and *communicate* this to IBM,
>>it might get in there.
>The big problem I (and I suppose quite a lot of people) have with this is
>that I don't have the slightest idea where and how I should make these
>kinds of requests.

Well, there is supposed to be an 800 phone number that everyone gets.  And
you should have an ID number to identify yourself.  Your SE/CE should know
what this number is.  Look, IBM has gone to A LOT of trouble to put together
a support structure to satisfy you, the customer.  In fact, from comments
I've seen in the trade mags, IBM's support is better than of older, more
established *IX companies.

>I doubt that I should bother the software support people with this ...

Ask them about it.  I don't speak for the support folks, but I would guess
that valid problem reports include:

DOCUMENTATION: If you're confused by how to do something you're probably not
the only one, call it in;

USABILITY: if you can't use something, or it doesn't work as documented,
call it in;

ERROR MESSAGES: if the error message is more confusing than the error,
call it in;

PERFORMANCE: if the same thing works 5 times faster on a Sun 3/50,
CALL IT IN! :-)

DESIGN.: If something is designed wrong (like the malloc() controversy),
and you want to see it changed, call it in; (this probably entails a few more
levels of beuracracy, though, and there has to be enough customer support
to justify changing it...)

>                              Christian Motz, cmo at softpro.stgt.sub.org

jim/jsalter  IBM PSP, Palo Alto  T465/(415)855-4427  VNET: JSALTER at AUSVMQ
Internet: jsalter at slo.awdpa.ibm.com         UUCP: ..!uunet!ibmsupt!jsalter
  PS/2 it, or DIE!  :-)  The ramblings above have nothing to do with Big Blue.