Networking RS/6000's ?

Dick Gill rg at gandp
Thu Mar 21 01:10:44 AEST 1991

We have just started selling the RS/6000 products into the
commercial (legal) marketplace, and are proposing a Model 320H
to an existing client; he will use it for both word and data
processing.  Having been burned once by a prior vendor, he wants
to make _SURE_ that, as his needs grow, he can add a second (and
third) system and have them networked in a way that directories
can be shared among users on all systems (there may also be a
more minor need to log on to another system).

I assume that the means to achieve this is NFS running on TCP/IP
over Ethernet, although I am a novice in networking and may not
have gotten this exactly right.

Now the question.  Is this a relatively simple and
straightforward thing to do?  Does it _REALLLY_ work reliably?
Practiccally, how many RS/6000's can be networked in this
manner?  How much support complication is introduced by the
network?

I've read the IBM publications that make this sound simple and
routine, and would like comments from those who are doing (or
trying to do) this kind of RS/6000 networking.

Please e-mail; I will summarize to the net if there is interest.

Thanks.

Dick