Why don't processes kill when disconnected (AIX3.1.3003)?

root at acd.uucp root at acd.uucp
Thu Mar 14 04:25:48 AEST 1991

Tim Fredrick (me!) writes:

>|> I hope this is something simple.  But when a terminal sessions is terminated
>|> abnormally (power down, telnet disconnect, etc.) many processes stay in
>|> the process tables.  This is also true when you press CTRL-SHIFT-BACKSPACE
>|> in AIXWindows -- some X processes will stay in the process table as seen
>|> by "ps -efgau .....

Some have speculated to me that this is a problem with /bin/csh.  One person
wrote to say that the problem has been fixed with AIX3.1.5 which was
announced and scheduled to ship March 22.  Until then I guess we get to
keep killing processes by hand -- I haven't tried to run processes under
any of the other shells to see if we have a similar problem.  Thanks.  --Tim