IBM RS/6000 unsuitable for news

NRAO Array Operations Center nraoaoc at nmt.edu
Thu May 9 05:14:30 AEST 1991

In article <1F7k22w164w at halcyon.uucp> halcyon!ralphs at seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) writes:
>In an earlier post I mentioned that the average MS-DOS filesize for news
>articles appeared to be ~3K.  Using a 4K blocksize would be fairly efficient
>under that condition.

Not if you have hundreds of tiny articles and a few giant ones which skew the
average.

>I would reason that articles <2K would
>get allocated a 4K block and those of 5K would get an 8K one.  Perhaps
>with that in mind 1 or 2K blocks would be better.

Precisely. If your file sizes were random, you would always waste on average
half the filesystem block size per file. Even in this situation, 2K/file is
a lot to waste (as opposed to 512 bytes, which is half a Berkeley filesystem
fragment). In reality, news tends to be made up as stated above, which means
that *on average* you are wasting more than 2K/file.
--
Ruth Milner
Systems Manager                     NRAO/VLA                    Socorro NM
Computing Division Head      rmilner at zia.aoc.nrao.edu