RS/6000 VDT Cabling Question

Mike Evans mevans at marque.mu.edu
Wed May 29 00:11:11 AEST 1991

In article <358 at gandp> rg at gandp.UUCP (Dick Gill) writes:

>I would like to use existing wiring by running just Transmit,
>Receive and Common to each VDT; this would, of course, entail
>strapping back the hardware handshake at the RS/6000 (I presume
>RTS-CTS and DTR-DSR-CD) and using X-on/X-off for flow control.

In my building we are running the IBM 3151 terminals with two wires, Transmit
and Receive with a jumper between CD and DTR at the RS/6000 end.  We run
our terminals at 9600 at distances to 500 feet with no problems.  I am
also running two terminals at 19.2 at 50 feet.  The reason for this distance
is my office is that close.  I would have no qualms of trying longer
distances.  The only problem I might be able to attribute to two wires is
I have lost a couple of ports, possibly to static.
Depending on your IBM SE running none standard wiring can cause IBM to say
 "must be the wiring, replace it and then we will fix your tape drive" :)

Mike Evans