IBM RS/6000 unsuitable for news

Ralph Sims halcyon!ralphs at seattleu.edu
Wed May 8 03:00:47 AEST 1991

henry at zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

> Do remember that the Sun is quoting space used in KB.  If AIX is being asked
> to quote space usage in 4K blocks, quite plausibly it is rounding file sizes
> up to multiples of 4K.  Make sure this is really a space-consumption problem
> rather than just a reporting problem.

In an earlier post I mentioned that the average MS-DOS filesize for news
articles appeared to be ~3K.  Using a 4K blocksize would be fairly efficient
under that condition.  Would the same reasoning hold true with *nix and if
not, what differences are there?  I would reason that articles <2K would
get allocated a 4K block and those of 5K would get an 8K one.  Perhaps
with that in mind 1 or 2K blocks would be better.  My system uses 2K
clusters.

--
          Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
                       halcyon!ralphs at seattleu.edu