installp or updatep using remote tape?

Bradley T. Freese freese at dalvm41b.vnet.ibm.com
Sat May 25 04:51:45 AEST 1991

dwight at watserv1.waterloo.edu (Dwight Aplevich) writes:

> It ought to be possible to use the installp or updatep commands to load
> products from a tape located on a remote machine, but we can't seem to
> get it to work, and TFM is not explicit on this.  Has anyone got these
> commands to work this way?

No, this won't work.  Both commands only work with directly attached
devices.  However, you might want to consider setting up the machine
with the tape drive as a network-install server.  Basically, this
entails building install images on the remote machine, using NFS to
mount the directory containing the images, and installing from those
images.  For details, contact your local IBM representative and ask
for the "Flash" entitled "Installation Overview and Tips for AIX...."