User Directories

Michael Stefanik mike at bria.UUCP
Thu May 2 02:39:38 AEST 1991

In an article, wangh at beasley.CS.ORST.EDU (Haiyan Wang) writes:
>Don't you have to reload from tape? :-(.
>By the way, backup and reload are the major part of the whole work. They are
>going to take at least 2 hours to finish. Of course, you can skip these two
>steps and come up with a empty /usr. What a achievement!!!

Well, I didn't really count the backup and restore because you can always
be doing something else useful ... for example, I always return to my
true vocation, and fire up an intense game of NetHack. :-)

BTW, I doubt very much that these IBM SE's are earning the "big bucks".
We had a guy migrate from our company to IBM, and he took a salary *decrease*
(why, in God's name, I have no idea -- guess he wanted those big blue letters
on his resume) to do it.  Methinks the idea that working for IBM gets you
the pot 'o gold on the other side of the rainbow is but a myth.

My advice when struggling against a problem with IBM software or hardware:

	1. Take a deep breath.  Hold it.  Think about your mother.  Exhale.
	2. Remind yourself that life is wonderful and worrying gets you nowhere.
	3. Read a chapter from "I'm OK, You're OK"

--
Michael Stefanik, MGI Inc, Los Angeles | Opinions stated are never realistic
Title of the week: Systems Engineer    | UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike