fortune data file and fortune command

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Thu May 23 23:20:58 AEST 1991

In article <1991May22.215452.7261 at unlinfo.unl.edu> james at engrss2.unl.edu (James Nau) writes:
>Does anyone know what (and why?) fortune changes in the
>/usr/games/lib/fortune/fortune.dat file?  It changes only the first
>"line" (I think it's in the first 128 bytes).  Is it writing a counter
>so that I don't see the same fortune twice?

Yes.

The source code to the fortune program has been posted, and is
available from BSD as well.  You might want to acquire a copy
and examine it.
--
John F. Haugh II        | Distribution to  | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh
Ma Bell: (512) 255-8251 | GEnie PROHIBITED :-) |  Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"If liberals interpreted the 2nd Amendment the same way they interpret the
 rest of the Constitution, gun ownership would be mandatory."