Taking memory out of an RS/6000

Marc J. Stephenson/140000;1C-22 marc at stingray.austin.ibm.com
Thu May 30 00:03:27 AEST 1991

In article <1991May29.024542.1596 at menudo.uh.edu> matt at karazm.math.uh.edu (Matt Emerson) writes:
>For complex reasons, I needed to take 8Mb of ram (one memory card) out
>of an RS/6000 model 320.  Now that it has only 8Mb of ram left, it won't
>boot. It gives error 949 on the red 3-digit display (means direct-attached
>disk isn't responding, or some other seemingly irrelevant problem).
>
>Is there anything I can do to avoid reinstalling AIX?
>
>--
>Matt Emerson
>matt at karazm.math.uh.edu

Yes, there is something that can be done - you will need to edit
/usr/bin/bosboot and then rerun bosboot -a.  If you can temporarily get back
that 8MB card to get back to 16MB, then you won't need to boot in maintenance
mode; otherwise, you will.

After you've booted your machine, (after running /etc/continue if in
maintenance mode), edit /usr/bin/bosboot.  Look for a comment which will say
something like "If there is only 8MB of memory, must compress the RAM disk".
Comment out the "if [ "$sizemem" -le 8192 ]" the "then" that follows, then
the "fi" which follows that.  Write the file back to disk.  sync if you
are in maintenance mode.  Then, run bosboot -a.  You should then have
a system which will boot in 8MB.
--
Marc Stephenson		      IBM PSPA (Personal System Programming - Austin,TX)
DISCLAIMER: The content of this posting is independent of official IBM position.