system backups

Robert E. Landsparger rel at mtu.edu
Tue May 14 17:33:11 AEST 1991

In article <U714092.91May13155851 at eagle.larc.nasa.gov>, u714092 at eagle.larc.nasa.gov (prichard devon ) writes:

|> I have borrowed an 8mm Exabyte with which to do a backup of my system.
|> question is, it looks like "backup" only does one filesystem at a time,
|> and every time backup runs, it will overwrite the tape.  I want
|> to backup all data in rootvg, which has several file systems.
|>
|> seeing as this is a short-term opportunity to get a complete system backup,
|> I'd like to get an exact bit-for-bit copy.  from the documentation ;)
|> I understand that backup is better than tar for this situation.
|>
|> so, could anyone tell me how to get a full system backup on one tape?

If you know how to do each individual file system, then just use the
device /dev/rmt*.1 and this will cuase the tape NOT to rewind when
done with the tape access.  ( see:  man 5 rmt )  On the last file system,
use the device /dev/rmt*.0 to rewind when done.  This will allow you to
put your different file systems in different backup files.

--method 2--

Unmount all the stuff you do not want to place in the back-up file (NFS mounts,
CD rom, and unwanted vgroups, ...) and do the following (as root):

cd /
find . -print | backup -ivp -f /dev/rmt*

This will cause everything to be placed in one file.  Not real bad, if you want
a file, just get it out of this backup file.  The nice thing about this is
that the save path is relative (not absolute).

Hope this helps, and if any one flames me about this carbon it to above if
it is a correction/improvement.  :-)

bob

--

USER:		Can I get a list of *all* the unix commands?
CONSULTANT:	man -k - | lpr -                  (* not under AIX, even 3.1.5 *)