Problem & question with AIX 3.1.3

John Burton jcburt at ipsun.larc.nasa.gov
Fri May 24 23:10:32 AEST 1991

I've got a minor problem with my RS/6000 running AIX 3.1.3.
When I login to the system console (which is our primary workstation)
I usually start my Xwindow environment with an "open xinit"
(i.e. open a virtual screen). Every so often (not consistently at all)
when I'm in Xwindows using Motif, the screen will blank and then display
the login prompt (just like I logged completely off in one fell swoop).
If I press ALT + CTRL/ACT I get my windows screen back and everything
seems fine. The obvious question is, what did I do to cause this...well,
I don't know...I wasn't even touching the keyboard or mouse (just reading
a News article with my hands away from the machine. There were no other
users on the system at the time...) Any suggestions? or is AIX3.1.3 just that
flakey?

The question I have is...WHEN IS IBM GOING TO GET WITH IT AND UPGRADE TO
X11R4 and MOTIF 1.1?????

Its kinda frustrating to have many X11 compliant packages available, but
not able to use them because they NO LONGER SUPPORT X11R3!!!

John

| John Burton                                                        |
| G & A Technical Software                                           |
| jcburt at gatsibm.larc.nasa.gov                                       |
| jcburt at cs.wm.edu                                                   |
| Disclaimer: Hey, what can I say...These are *my* views, not those  |
|             of anyone else, be they employer, school, or government|