name of RS6000 processor?

Rich Braun rbraun at spdcc.COM
Wed May 8 02:42:43 AEST 1991

khaw at parcplace.com (Mike Khaw) writes:
>>Sun has SPARC, DEC/MIPS have MIPS, HP/Apollo has PRISM. Does the RISC
>>CPU in the RS/6000 have a name (other than RS/6000)?

This is what my RS-6000 has to say for itself:

$ uname -m
000008113000

My 386 box running SCO Unix says:

$ uname -m
i386

>From this, I conclude that whoever invented the RS/6000 must have come
from MIT.  After all, everything at MIT has a number rather than a name.
(This isn't really true:  most classroom buildings _do_ have a name.
But everyone there uses numbers:  "My 6.013 class is in 56-100 at
14:00" translates into "My electrodynamics I class is in room 100 of
the Green building at 2pm.")

;-)

-rich