disk quota

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Sat May 18 01:00:50 AEST 1991

In article <1991May17.000303.16324 at casbah.acns.nwu.edu> guidry at casbah.acns.nwu.edu (David A Guidry) writes:
>In article <91136.145258AER7101 at TECHNION.BITNET> AER7101 at TECHNION.BITNET (Zvika Bar-Deroma) writes:
>>As for the suggestion to given
>>each user his own filesystem, this sounds like a bad joke to me !
>
>Don't laugh...just look at CMS,
>IBM took care of security interests by wasting TONS of disk space.
>Everybody has their own separate part of the disk.

I think your perception of CMS is slightly skewed.  Only your private,
permanent data is in a separate disk, for example, I have 15 cylinders of
3380 as my A disk.  If I need more during a session, I can create a
minidisk with 50 or 100 or whatever number of cylinders that I need.
Whenever I logout, that temporary disk goes away.  So, if I need to have
100 cylinders for an hour or so, I create a 100 cylinder B disk, do my
work, and then dispose of the B disk.  Hard quotas under UNIX would
either grant me a 100MB quota, which users could then overcommit the
entire disk to, or stick me with the 15MB quota that I can't create
100MB files on.

At previous installations where I was forced to be the Evil System
Administrator, my solution was to let the disk fill up, then enforce
"Administrative Quotas" using the quot command and a file listing
howmany blocks each user was permitted.  When free space was below
some threshhold, then I cared, otherwise I didn't worry about it.
--
John F. Haugh II        | Distribution to  | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh
Ma Bell: (512) 255-8251 | GEnie PROHIBITED :-) |  Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"If liberals interpreted the 2nd Amendment the same way they interpret the
 rest of the Constitution, gun ownership would be mandatory."