NFS(??) error message

Marc J. Stephenson/140000;1C-22 marc at stingray.austin.ibm.com
Fri May 24 07:04:41 AEST 1991

In article <1991May22.171846.11932 at cmcl2.nyu.edu> lixj at acf4.nyu.edu (Xiaojian Li) writes:
>I constantly receive the following message while the NFS works properly:
>  Cannot register service: RPC: Timed out
>  Unable to register (NLM_PROG, NLM_VERS, tcp). ...

I believe that this occurs when you do not have the portmapper running, as
in /usr/etc/portmap.  Check to see if you have the line starting portmap
commented out in /etc/rc.tcpip.  You can start it up from the command line as
well.

--
Marc Stephenson		      IBM PSPA (Personal System Programming - Austin,TX)
DISCLAIMER: The content of this posting is independent of official IBM position.