How do I get pty's to handle BS correctly in AIX 1.2 ?

Michael Feig meikel at opal.cs.tu-berlin.de
Mon May 27 22:38:34 AEST 1991

Hi netters !

We have the following problem with AIX 1.2 (for PS/2):

When using telnet to our machine, no matter from where (local or over the net
from another machine) the BS doesn't work correctly at the login prompt.
AIX erases the chraracters correctly in its memory variable used for the
input line (you can check this by typing a wrong name and then correcting
it with BS) but on the screen nothing happens, when BS is pressed.
Obviously TERM is set to the wrong value, probably to 'dumb'.

The whole thing wouldn't be very bad if only the login prompt is affected but
on of the consequences is, that for example I cannot establish an irc-login,
where irc is exec'ed instead of a shell. When doing so, irc just complains
that TERM is not defined or set to 'dumb' or something like this and exits
immediately.

If anyone knows how to solve this problem, I would appreciate mail or news
replies very much.
Mail replies will be summarized and posted by me, if any usable hints are given.

Michael.
 Michael Feig               INTERNET: meikel at srvmp21.physik.tu-berlin.de
 Berlin, Germany                      meikel at opal.cs.tu-berlin.de