Help! Runaway syslogd...

Pat Wilson paw at eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Thu May 2 05:26:52 AEST 1991

Pretty weird...

For the last two days I've had /etc/syslogd go nuts and start forking
copies of itself (filling up the process table along the way).  I don't
_think_ I've changed anything lately that would affect syslogd...  The
trigger is unknown at the moment, and isn't anything obvious.  Has
anyone ever seen anything like this?  Any ideas where to start looking
for the cause?  I've rebooted (though not powered down) once since this
started, but it hasn't cured the problem.  It only seems to be happening
on this one machine (I've got 14 320s, most of which are clones of the
machine having the problem).

I'm running 3003 on a 320 with 16Mb RAM and 64Mb swap.

Thanks.

--
Pat Wilson
Systems Manager, Project NORTHSTAR