RS/6000 memory cards: 3rd party

David Fricker fsfrick at bones.lerc.nasa.gov
Fri May 10 05:01:57 AEST 1991

Does anyone have experience with 3rd party memory _cards_ for the
RS/6000 ???

We are in the process of buying an additional 128 MB of memory for
a model 530.  One vendor responded to our RFQ with the Kingston
memory cards (actually 2 cards).  Kingston claims that their cards
are 100% compatible.  My local IBM rep (who recently talked to the
director for the RS/6000 line) says that there are no IBM approved
3rd party memory cards because of a special, IBM-only chip on the
card (the memory management chip).

So, has anybody out there bought a Kingston memory _card_ (not SIMMs)
for the RS/6000 ??  Any troubles, complaints, praise ??

David Fricker			|     phone: 216-433-5960
NASA Lewis Research Center     	|     M.S. 5-11
Cleveland, Ohio  44135         	|     email: fsfrick at bones.lerc.nasa.gov