3005 DOES NOT work with HP disks

Fred L. Johnson johnson at aixwiz.austin.ibm.com
Fri May 31 09:15:36 AEST 1991

A change was made at the 3002 level of AIX in the scdiskpin (bottom
half) of the
SCSI disk device driver.  This change was made in the mode sense command to get
some other OEM drives working (specifically a 200M Maxtor).
Unfortunately the fix
was too simplistic and caused other OEM drives to break.  We were not
aware of this
since all of our IBM and examples of OEM drives worked.  A design change
has been
implemented that allows much more flexibility in handling mode sense
data.  This fix
is in test now and should resolve the problem.

If you have a drive that has worked with the 3002 or later updates then
there is
nothing to be concerned about.  If you have a system at GA level with
OEM drives
and update to 3002 or later and your OEM drives do not work then you
need to call
IBM support.

- Fred

My remarks and opinions are mine alone...
| Fred L. Johnson                  | Internet: johnson at aixwiz.austin.ibm.com |
| IBM Personal Systems Programming | inet: johnson at tanstaafl.austin.ibm.com  |
| AIX BOS Field Quality            | vnet: FJOHNSON at AUSVMQ                |
| 11400 Burnet Road,  994/3401     | phone: (512) 823-4706                   |
| Austin, TX  78758-3493           | tie line: 793-4706                      |