Lost inode 2 on / filesystem.

Don Preuss donp at niaid.nih.gov
Thu May 16 02:51:41 AEST 1991

Has anyone worked with fsdb on AIX 3.1 (3003)?

I've got a filesystem / that upon rebooting has lost inode=2. After running
fsck, the files in the / directory were linked in under lost+found. fsck
now reports that "." and ".." directories are missing, but that there 1160
files on the filesystem. It seems that I should be able to run fsdb,
recreate the / directory, link in lost+found, and move evertything back into
place. Does this sound feasible, and has anyone tryed it?  Or can someone
give me pointers on a place to look.

I've heard of 3 other systems with a filesystems or files corrupted. Has anyone
heard of similar problems? IBM support has not been terribly helpful, and
seems to have not heard about a problem like this. Please send me mail with
a short description and I will forward to IBM.

donp
donp at niaid.nih.gov