IBM RS/6000 unsuitable for news

Chuck Karish karish at pangea.Stanford.EDU
Thu May 9 13:35:56 AEST 1991

In article <1991May07.160042.28634 at turnkey.tcc.com> jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM
(Jack F. Vogel) writes:
>One possibility struck me, since AIX Version 3 is a 'vnoded' filesystem
>(which, alas, AIX/370 isn't) I wouldn't think it would be that hard to
>provide a SysV 1K or FFS filesystem as an option. Has anyone out there in
>6000 support thought about or considered this??

If a widely-supported filesystem architecture were supported
IBM would also be adding value of another sort to their
machines.  In particular, having a FFS option available might
make it possible to use Sun or DEC SCSI disks when their hosts
are out off commission.

It would probably be easier for IBM to support DEC and/or Sun
filesystems than it would be for the others to support IBM's,
so there'd be a net advantage in value added to IBM.

	Chuck Karish		karish at mindcraft.com
	(415) 323-9000		karish at forel.stanford.edu