IBM RS/6000 unsuitable for news

Brian Glendenning bglenden at colobus.cv.nrao.edu
Tue May 7 04:07:29 AEST 1991

This might save someone some time:

In my opinion, IBM/RS6000 machines running AIX 3, are unsuitable for
running usenet news because the filesystems only have 4k blocks, and
thus waste a lot of space for usenet news. (Also, the number of inodes
is fixed, which would be painful if we could drop the block size...).

A quickie shell script tells me that:
(total size in 4k blocks)/(total # of bytes in files) = 2.0
On a Sun with 1k blocks the number is 1.2.

For us, this is unacceptable, so I guess I'll have to scare up some
disk space on a Sun somewhere. Too bad, because otherwise things
worked quite well.

This ignores the role of fragments, which I would have thought would
go a long way to saving the day for AIX. Since I observe a lot of
wasted space, I gather it isn't. Strange.

Brian
--
       Brian Glendenning - National Radio Astronomy Observatory
bglenden at nrao.edu          bglenden at nrao.bitnet          (804) 296-0286