INed editor does not work with AIX 3.1.5?

Rich Braun rbraun at spdcc.COM
Thu May 23 00:57:47 AEST 1991

miseppal at cs.Helsinki.FI (Mika Seppala) writes:
>I have installed AIX 3.1.5 on my IBM RS6000 320.
>After the update the INed editor refuses to run
>in an aixterm window.  It does run in a plain
>ascii mode terminal.

Just a hunch, but I think you were bitten by the same problem I had with
running INFO.  (Someone followed up here with a statement that the
xterm startup script would have the same problem as info.)  Try running
INed after deleting your ENV environment variable, and I bet it'll
work.  I ran into this only after installing 3005.

If your ENV file diddles with passed parameters ($1 $2 etc), the script
used by info, xterm, or whatever will see the wrong values.  You (or IBM)
could fix this by putting a comment line at the top of the xterm startup
script like "#!ksh -p" or something like that.  You can also fix this
by modifying your ENV startup scripts, which is what I did, so they
don't use the "set" command.

-rich