AIX problems

Craig Miller dcm at codesmith.austin.ibm.com
Tue May 14 01:28:44 AEST 1991

In article <9357.282caa94 at jetson.uh.edu> elee4fg at jetson.uh.edu writes:
>From: seng Gan
>Star Enterprise
>
>1) csh does not support suid. If your csh suid scripts file has this
>  #!/bin/csh
>   It won't work.
>  Your need to do this in ksh

	I believe this is not an AIXism but is a BSDism.  The BSD4.3
	csh source I have access to does not support suid either.  This
	is documented, I believe.

>  /bin/csh <your suid script file> ( without #!/bin/csh )

	Are you sure this really works?  Suid scripts have never worked
	without "#!".  Your script may run, but it won't run suid.

>6) Increase your process limit
>   your need to edit /usr/include/sys/limits.h
>   CHILD_MAX to increase your number of process allowed per user id
>   in ksh 40 is too small for root
>   chdev -l sys0 -A maxuproc has no effect in ksh

	(a) /usr/include/sys/limits.h has no effect on process limits (unless
	    you're rebuilding your kernel).  Are you rebuilding your kernel?

	(b) I wasn't aware that max number of procs per user was enforced
	    for root.  If it is, it shouldn't be (IMHO).

	(c) What does ksh have to do with process limits?  Can you give a
	    more specific example of why "chdev -l sys0..." has no effect
	    in ksh (vs sh or csh).

		Craig
Craig Miller			Internet:	dcm at aixwiz.austin.ibm.com
IBM Austin			Vnet:		tkg007 at ausvmq
AIXV3 Change Team (level3)	IBM internal:	dcm at littleguy.austin.ibm.com
"I do not represent IBM or any other respectable company."