extracting files from distribution diskettes

Bradley T. Freese freese at dalvm41b.vnet.ibm.com
Sat May 25 04:51:56 AEST 1991

grnberg at mit-caf.MIT.EDU (David R. Greenberg) writes:

> Does anyone know if it is possible to extract individual files from the
> AIX 1.2 for PS/2 operating system diskettes, without having to re-install?

Yes, this will work.

> Several of our terminfo files were accidentally corrupted and I'm
> looking for a way to remedy the situation.  I've tried using
> /etc/restore, but seem unable to properly match the filenames I want.
> I guess I don't fully understand the convention by which the @ symbol,
> or the i386 suffix is appended to the filenames.  Our system is not
> part of a cluster, so the re is no need to propogate these corrections
> to any other machines - just our own.

Look into the "-s" option of restore.  This "flattens" filenames for a
given system type.  The @ symbol involves how the system can keep
track of two or more executables for a given command, each for a
different system type.  For instance, on the 370 running AIX/370 in my
cluster, the ls command actually is /bin/ls@, a hidden directory.  In
that directory are two files: i386 and i370.  Depending on my current
CPU type, the kernel uses one file or the other to run 'ls'.

Since you are running standalone, you would want to flatten
executables using "-s i386".  If you only want to restore terminfo
files (not executables), you can probably restore them normally.