HELP! Why do I get error message: "Segmentation fault(coredump)" ?

Herbert van den Bergh hbergh at nlicl1.oracle.com
Tue May 28 01:55:49 AEST 1991

In article <1991May25.055311.8071 at research.canon.oz.au>, andy at research.canon.oz.au (Andy Newman) writes:
|> Sounds like a NULL pointer dereference. VAXen have data at location 0
|> many modern systems don't (is AIX in this league?).

	Nope. From /usr/lpp/bos/bsdport:

   7.1.  Derefencing NULL Pointers

      The word at memory location zero contains a  zero.
      That  means  that  code which has been incorrectly
      written to use a NULL pointer to represent a  null
      string  will  work,  but  will  not be portable to
      other UNIX operating systems, and may not work  on
      future AIX systems.

--
	Regards,

	Herbert van den Bergh                    hbergh at oracle.com
	Oracle Europe                            or uunet!oracle!hbergh