Upgrading to 3003 on an RS/6000

Bradley T. Freese freese at dalvm41b.vnet.ibm.com
Wed May 15 05:46:08 AEST 1991

borchers at aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Brian T. Borchers) writes:

> We recently upgrades to 3003.  I have a collection of Fortran and C
> routines called grafic (a simple scientific plotting package).  When
> I tried to link with this library after the upgrade, ld reported that
> .#SYSTEM and .#ABORT were undefined.  I took this to mean that I should
> recompile everything.  After I recompiled the library and the main
> program, I still had the undefined symbols.
>
> Am I right in assuming that .#SYSTEM and .#ABORT are new to this release?
>
> Is it likely that there is a mismatch of the compilers and libraries?

Yes, this is a known mismatch.  The upgrade redefined/renamed three
symbols:  .#SYSTEM; .#ABORT; and .#GETENV.  The change was done to
improve ANSI compliance.  Since you are still getting the error, I
suspect that you missed a library somewhere.  To find it, I recommend
linking with the 'ld' flag "-bloadmap:<filename>", where <filename>
is the name of a file of your choice.  After doing the link, this
file will indicate what object module is still calling the symbols.
Good luck.