How can I make AIX X server use R4 fonts? Please help.

Chin Fang fangchin at elaine54.Stanford.EDU
Fri May 17 16:40:56 AEST 1991

I spent almost entire day time buiding/installing/testing R4 clients/libs, both
standard and lot's contributed to my 320 running 3.003.  So far not too bad.
So after dinner, I built R4 fonts and put them in /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts
{misc, 75dpi, 100dpi}.  I also built R4 color database and put rgb/rgb.pag/
rgb.txt in /usr/local/lib/X11.

Now, if I type xinit -D $RGB -fp $FONTPATH

where RGB="/usr/local/lib/X11/rgb" (in ksh)

the sever won't start at all.  After a long period, it dies and the console
hangs.  I have tried to make $FONTPATH as simple as (in ksh)

ksh>FONTPATH="/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc"

and leave the rest alone.  Still the same results, frozen cosole.

I see no reason why a R3 server can't use R4 fonts.  Besides, I didn't notice
any error messages when I was building fonts and converting them to *.snfs.

So am I missing something?  I would appreciate any pointer regarding this.

I would like to make R4 fonts available to users so they don't have to
worry too much about such when they move among our four platforms.

A related question, is the server shape extension for my patch level works?
I built one in a scratch dir and got "XCOFF format error or non-executable"
when trying to start it.  No error messages when linking was done.

Thanks in advance for any help.  Please email to me if you would.
I will summarize if there is enough interest.

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University
fangchin at leland.stanford.edu