logging off from an Xstation 120 (a possible solution???)

Farshid Arman farshid at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Fri May 17 15:54:31 AEST 1991

regrading the problem of logging out of the X-station, I came up
with a solution which has worked for us pretty well (we have 120's
and run mwm).  In the .login file I put the following

	    .
	    .
	    .
	if ($TERM == hft) then
   		open xinit && logout
	else if($?XSTATION) then
  		.mwm_startup >! .$XSTATION
  		logout
	    .
	    .
	    .

in the shell script '.mwm_start' I have all the aixterm, xclock, ...
calls and the process id's are saved in the file .$XSTATION.
The initial window is killed right after login!!
Then at logout time, chosen in the menu, the following is executed

	    .
	    .
	    .
     	set PS=`cat ~/.$XSTATION | awk '{print $2}'`
     	/bin/rm ~/.$XSTATION
     	/bin/kill -9 $PS
	    .
	    .
	    .

which just kills the process.  Ofcourse all processes that are created
after the initial startup have to be appended to the file .$XSTATION.
I think we use aliases for that.

As I said this works for us.  Hope is useful.

Farshid