"Pre-GA" RISC Systems - Free upgrade offer expiring

Chuck Karish karish at mindcraft.com
Wed May 29 04:17:46 AEST 1991

In article <1991May27.165427.26584 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> shair at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
(Bob Shair) writes:
>Any system with a
>serial number less than 05000, or received before May, 1990
>may well be a "pre-GA" system.

Some machines with serial numbers greater than 5000 were also pre-
GA.  The ones I saw were numbers 5115, 5116, and 5118.

The symptom we found that prompted us to discover this and have
the machines upgraded was that they wouldn't boot from stacked
tape.

>This project has only another month to run.  We've been using our
>internal records to track down and contact users directly, but
>are not convinced we've found them all.

IBM's internal records are (were) apparently not organized as
well as they might have been for this task.  The topology
diskettes I sent back should have provided the information
to show what level our machines were, but service people
I talked to later didn't have access to that database.

Bob, is there a way to have AIX tell us what level our firmware is?
It's annoying to have to open the box and peer around the memory
boards to read the numbers on the ROS chips.

	Chuck Karish		karish at mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000