Bizarre INFO problem with 3.1.5

Rich Braun rbraun at spdcc.COM
Sat May 18 07:35:16 AEST 1991

After installing 3.1.5, I found that I couldn't run INFO; it died
with a syntax-error message whenever I tried to run it.  Investigating
further, I found that users who had 'csh' logins could run it; 'ksh'
logins couldn't.  And running 'csh' under 'ksh' didn't help.

The problem is the ENV environment variable.  The ksh shell uses this
to identify a script to be run at startup, and info causes another
shell to be executed.  Within this file, I had a 'set' command which
played around with the parameters ($1 $2 etc.).  This caused info to
die because it saw invalid parameters.

I thought I'd post this to let others know that it's probably a pretty
bad idea to use the 'set' command within a ksh ENV file.

-rich