file size limit

Bradley T. Freese freese at dalvm41b.vnet.ibm.com
Sat May 25 04:51:53 AEST 1991

amigaeb at altger.alt.sub.org (Ronny Hansen) writes:

> I am having a hard time figuring out HOW to change the file size
> limit for ordinary users. I am using AIX V1.2 on a PS-2, and
> it won't let me have files > 4 Mbytes if I am not logged in as root.
> How do I change this ?

Yes, this is possible.  The best reference is in chapter 2 of _Managing
the AIX Operating System.  See the discussion of user limits.  To
change the filesize limits for particular users, you can use 'adduser'
and change the "filesize" value for each user.  Alternately, you can
edit /etc/passwd directly.  Volume 2 of _AIX Operating System
Technical Reference_ has a breakdown of the values for the various
fields.  If you want to change the default file size for all
processes, you can add/change the following line in /etc/environment
   filesize=8096
and reboot.  The number is in blocks.